Friday, July 15, 2011

Golf - a lesson in life

I don't play a lot of golf but if invited to go play a round I will go and enjoy it, but it isn't something for the most part that I think of doing for leisure, now that doesn't include mini-golf with my family of course!

As I am heading out to play a round today with some business colleagues it got me thinking about what I see on the golf course. I pay attention to people, it's kind of what I do, so on the golf course I am watching and listening to everyone who is within ear and eye shot. What I see most is people competing alone against their foursome because that is how golf is played and the nature of the sport, they get frustrated with their last shot, having their patience pushed, it is a rare sight to see someone overjoyed with their shot, then there are the head games, trying to "psych" out their opponent and the strategy goes on and on.

Now the golf I play most is a type called "Texas Scramble Best Ball" what it means is that you don't play on your own, you play with the other three people on your team (in your foursome) using the best shot out of the four. Consequently the odds of that shot you are overjoyed about just got a whole lot better, even if it isn't your shot that caused the joy it is a good thing when the team has a good shot! And when you make a bad shot the other three on the team just encourage and uplift you.

So where am I going with this you ask, well it brings me back to thoughts about my life, I make mistakes, I don't always make the perfect shot that I am overjoyed about. But when I am part of  a team that plays hard together at work, church or a consistent group of friends I am going to have more opportunity to be overjoyed and cheer even if it isn't for "my shot" and when someone makes a bad shot I can encourage them and get them ready for the next shot knowing they will do the same for me with my bad shots.

Life is about relationships and working together as a team at church, in your family and at work, who is on your team? Do you need to cheer them on today?

1 comment: