Saturday, March 24, 2012

Dubai-Fact or Fiction

After being in Sri Lanka I am now in Dubai for a few days, what a contrast, from the hardships of the people in Sri Lanka to the lavish city of Dubai, areas of the world at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to earthly wealth and belongings.

I am in awe at the architecture, the buildings are beautiful, each one unique and reaching for the sky.

Before I arrived I had some misconceptions of Dubai mainly from what I read on the internet and what is portrayed in the media with regards to Muslim countries. In the short time I have been here those misconceptions have been corrected very quickly.

The people here are so very friendly regardless of religion, it feels safe to walk the streets even very early in the morning, yes there are muslims here, but there are also many other religions as well, it is a muslim country and we have to remember that and respect them.

I was told yesterday by a person living here and also read it in the local paper " we welcome everyone to UAE (Dubai) all we ask is that you follow our laws". I have to say the laws are pretty simple and not a huge deal. Firstly no narcotics (drugs), now wouldn't we like that in North America, secondly no drunkenness in public, ditto for North America, thirdly they ask you dress modestly, again ditto for North America. They also find intimate acts of affection in public offensive, there is nothing wrong with that and as I am traveling with a work colleague that won't be happening! :-)

That being said if you were here with your wife I am sure you could walk along holding hands as I have seen Emirate Muslims doing it, I think it is all about respecting each other and those around you which is not a bad thing.

If you ever have the chance to visit Dubai I would highly recommend it, it is an amazing place.



No comments:

Post a Comment