Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Sharp Tongue

With my work I get to meet many people across the nation, we get to chat and share life experiences.

I recently had the privilege of meeting with a lady who was around 80 years young, a lovely lady, a lady who loved Jesus and strived to be like Him.

As we chatted it became evident that she was carrying a burden that was weighing heavy on her heart, a burden that was affecting her emotionally. As we continued to talk she shared an experience that she had with her mother when she was a little girl, I believe when she was around 10 years old, so seventy years ago.

This experience involved the young 10 year old girl making a mistake. As a result of that mistake the mother spoke harsh words to her in anger which made her question her faith and also rooted the words in this ladies heart, mind and deepest being forever.

As I sat there I wept with this lady as she expressed how much it hurt to have her mother speak those words, it was evident that the lady loved her mother but these harsh words hurt so deep.

It was a real reminder to me as a father of two teenage girls how careful I must be to not speak in anger, how I must take time to ensure the words I speak to my children uplift them and if needed correct them in a loving and compassionate way so as not to leave them with emotional scars that will inhibit their journey through life.

This experience for me was a reminder that the tongue is a tool that if used in haste and in anger can leave scars that last a lifetime, but if used with love and care can uplift and fill others with joy and encouragement, so I guess the question is to all of us, how are we using our tongues to communicate today?







No comments:

Post a Comment